Public record of meeting, 17 October 2016
Meeting of 17 October, 2016–18 October, 2016
Hotel Clarendon, Québec City
- Dr. Marcello Tonelli (Chair)
- Dr. Richard Birtwhistle (Vice-Chair)
- Dr. Brett Thombs
- Dr. Gabriela Lewin
- Dr. Stéphane Groulx
- Dr. Brenda Wilson
- Dr. Scott Klarenbach
- Dr. James Dickinson
- Dr. Harminder Singh
- Dr. Maria Bacchus
- Dr. Ainsley Moore
- Dr. Roland Grad
- Dr. Kevin Pottie
- Dr. Rachel Rodin
- Ms. Alejandra Jaramillo
- Ms. Dana Reid
- Ms. Veronique Dorais
- Ms. Nathalie Holmes (telecon)
- Ms. Frances Gardiner (telecon)
- Ms. Marion Doull (telecon)
- Ms. Michèle Boileau-Farladeau (telecon)
- Ms. Wendy Martin (telecon)
- Ms. Nicki Sims-Jones (telecon)
- Ms. Susan Courage (telecon)
U of Calgary
- Ms. Brandee Borne
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI)
- Ms. Adrienne Stevens
- Mr. Andrew Beck
- Ms. Mona Hersi (telcon)
Alberta Research Centre for Health Evidence (ARCHE) ERSC
- Ms. Jennifer Pillay
- Ms. Aireen Wingert
St. Michael’s Hospital
- Dr. Nadia Bashir
- Dr. Sharon Straus
- Ms. Kaylyn Kretschmer
- Ms. Danica Buckland
- Ms. Radha Sayal (telecon)
- Mr. George Collier (Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation)
- Mr. David Rodier (telecon)
- Dr. Chris Greenaway (telecon)
- Ms. Kate Priel
1. Welcome; Introductions; Review of Agenda – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli welcomed the group to Quebec City and thanked them for their attendance. He asked that all participants introduce themselves to the group. Dr. Tonelli asked Ms. Borne if the current version of the agenda had any last minute alterations, none were noted.
Dr. Tonelli congratulated Dr. Thombs on his appointment as the next Chair of the CTFPHC, and noted that from now until October 2017, Dr. Thombs would act as chair-elect, until Dr. Tonelli’s service term comes to an end.
Dr. Tonelli also announced that Dr. Lewin would be the next Vice-Chair of the CTFPHC, taking over from Dr. Birtwhistle. As of October 2016, Dr. Birtwhistle’s service term has now come to an end.
2. Review and Approval of June 2016 Meeting Minutes, PROM and Action Summary – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli asked everyone to take time to review the Minutes and PROM from the previous meeting and if they had any changes, to let Ms. Priel know. Ms. Borne made the group aware that just before this meeting, Mr. Beck had sent Ms. Priel a small revision to the previous meeting minutes. The minutes were updated accordingly.
3. Task Force Members Alumni – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli provided information regarding the Task Force Members Alumni. The Alumni is described as past members, who still continue on guideline working groups of which they are members, they take part in calls and they also provide new Task Force members with valuable institutional experience. Dr. Birtwhistle, Dr. Singh, Dr. Bacchus, Dr. Pottie and Dr. Dickinson are now considered Alumni members, as their terms have come or are coming to an end.
4. Tobacco Working Group Update – Dr. Brett Thombs
Dr. Thombs provided the group with an update and presentation. His presentation looked at the progress of the working group so far, the current status of the guideline and next steps. He thanked the working group for all their hard work to help develop this guideline and also thanked all Task Force members for their valuable contributions.
5. Hepatitis C Working Group Update – Dr. Roland Grad
Dr. Grad gave a presentation to the group covering the background work behind the Hep C guideline development and the newly revised draft recommendations. He was joined by Dr. Chris Greenaway for part of this presentation.
6. Visual Acuity Working Group Update – Dr. Brenda Wilson
Dr. Wilson gave a presentation, updating the group on the progress of the working group and asked for approval of the protocol.
7. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Working Group Update – Dr. Harminder Singh
Dr. Singh gave an update to the group on the progress of the working group and presented the revised recommendations for consideration.
8. Methods Working Group Update – Dr. Brett Thombs, Ms. Alejandra Jaramillo and Dr. Kevin Pottie
Dr. Thombs gave a presentation updating the group on Topics and gave further information on topic selection.
Ms. Jaramillo began her presentation to the group with an update of progress made by the working group since the last In Person Meeting in June 2016. She covered Methods that are complete, in progress and pending.
Dr. Pottie presented the group with background on the development of Feasibility, Acceptability, Cost and Equity (FACE) – a new tool for stakeholder engagement.
9. ERSC’s Initial Experience and Lessons Learned – ARCHE and OHRI
Ms. Pillay from ARCHE and Ms. Stevens from OHRI provided the group with a presentation on the ERSC’s experience in working with the Task Force for the last year. Their presentation looked at some lessons learned, provided background to support changes underway and gave opportunity for discussion on upcoming timelines.
10. Breast Cancer Working Group Update – Dr. Scott Klarenbach
Dr. Klarenbach gave the group a presentation on the progress of the working group. His presentation looked at how this revision to the original guideline will help with future guideline updates.
11. KT Working Group Update – Dr. Nadia Bashir
Dr. Bashir presented the progress of the KT working group and advised the group that changes are being made to the KT tool development process.
12. Guideline Timelines – Ms. Kaylyn Kretschmer
Ms. Kretschmer gave a high level presentation of the current timelines.
13. Fetal Aneuploidy Screening Working Group Update – Dr. Brett Thombs
Dr. Thombs provided an update to the group on the work of the working group and presented criteria changes to key questions 1 and 2 for approval by the Task Force.
14. Esophageal Cancer Working Group Update – Dr. Stéphane Groulx and Dr. Rachel Rodin
Dr. Groulx gave the group an update of progress by the working group and presented the protocol for approval by the Task Force. Dr. Rodin explained more about overdiagnosis; a pilot approach is being used that could also be used for Task Force systematic reviews guideline topics.
15. BC Lifetime Prevention Schedule Expert Advisory Committee – Dr. Richard Birtwhistle
Dr. Birtwhistle provided the group with some information on the BC Lifetime Prevention Schedule Expert Advisory Committee.
16. Global Health and Guidelines Division (GHGD) Update – Dr. Rachel Rodin
Dr. Rodin gave a presentation to the group, updating them on the work and accomplishments of the Global Health and Guidelines Division (GHGD).
17. Meeting with Health Minister Update – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli gave an update on his meeting with the Health Minister, The Right Honourable Jane Philpot and the President of the Public Health Agency (PHAC).
18. Other Business
Dr. Tonelli asked Ms. Borne if she had any other points to add. Ms. Borne advised the group that the Task Force travel committee needs 1 new member. She also advised that the next In Person Meeting will be held on Feb 27 & 28, 2016, in Toronto if an affordable space can be found. More details on this to follow.
19. Asymptomatic Bacteriuria in Pregnancy Working Group Update – Dr. Ainsley Moore
Dr. Moore delivered a presentation to the group detailing progress made by the working group and sought protocol approval from the Task Force.
20. eHealth Working Group Update/Thyroid Dysfunction – Dr. Richard Birtwhistle
Dr. Birtwhistle advised the group that work on the adaptation of the USPSTF Thyroid Dysfunction guideline, will begin again, now that the larger more complex guidelines are progressing well.
Ms. Radha Sayal provided the group with an update and presentation on the progress of the eHealth working group. She gave a live demonstration of the EMR Breast Cancer plug in, in OSCAR.
21. Hill and Knowlton Update – Mr. David Rodier
Mr. Rodier provided an update via teleconference, with a presentation on the work of Hill and Knowlton and the CTFPHC brand. He gave details on the process of guideline media launch and the role social media can play in guideline release.
22. Closing Remarks; Summary and Adjournment – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli thanked everyone for their attendance and advised that the next meeting would be held in Toronto in February. He thanked Ms. Borne and Ms. Priel for planning a great meeting.