Public record of meeting, 2 October 2017

 

Meeting of 2 October, 2017–3 October, 2017

PDF Version

Lord Elgin Hotel, Ottawa

 

PRESENT

CTFPHC

  • Brett Thombs (Chair)
  • Gabriela Lewin (Vice-Chair)
  • Scott Klarenbach
  • Brenda Wilson
  • Stéphane Groulx
  • Ainsley Moore
  • Donna Reynolds
  • Guylène Thériault
  • Roland Grad
  • John LeBlanc (via teleconference)
  • Heather Colquhoun

CTFPHC Administrators

  • Daniela Cortinovis
  • Katie Elder

GHGD/PHAC

  • Rachel Rodin
  • Nicki Sims-Jones
  • Susan Courage
  • Francesca Reyes Domingo
  • Prinon Rahman
  • Heather Limburg
  • Shamila Shanmugasegaram
  • Chantal Plante
  • Ernesto Delgado
  • Fowsia Abdulkadir
  • Gregory Traversy
  • Marc Avey

Ottawa ERSC

  • Andrew Beck
  • David Moher
  • Adrienne Stevens (via teleconference)
  • Candyce Hamel (Day 1)
  • Pauline Barbeau (via teleconference)

Edmonton ERSC

  • Jennifer Pillay

JGH

  • Katie Elder
  • Daniela Cortinovis

St. Michael’s Hospital

  • Sharon Straus
  • Danielle Kasperavicius
  • Danica Buckland

Alumni

  • Rick Birtwhistle (via teleconference)
  • James Dickenson (via teleconference)

Guests

  • David-Martin Milot
  • Paula Tchen

Regrets

  • Eddy Lang
  • Lisa Hartling
  • Julian Little

MINUTES

Day 1

1. Welcome and Introductions; Review of Action Summary and Agenda –Brett Thombs

Dr. Thombs welcomed the group to Ottawa and thanked them for their attendance. He noted that there a few new faces in the group and asked that all participants introduce themselves.

Dr. Thombs asked the group if there were any concerns or action items outstanding from the June 2017 Record of Discussion (RoD) and Public Record of Discussion (PRoM). Dr. Grad asked Dr. Moore to clarify whether the Asymptomatic Bacteriuria Working Group recommended the dipstick as a screening method for ASB, which was noted in the June 2017 RoD. Dr. Moore explained that the group would recommend the urine culture as the ideal screening method, while also providing the sensitivity specificity for the dipstick as an alternative. Ms. Elder will clarify this point in the June 2017 RoD. Motions to approve were granted.

Dr. Thombs asked the group if there were any concerns or action items outstanding from the June 2017 Action Summary. None arose.

2. Topics Update – Marion Doull

Dr. Doull presented on behalf of the Topics Working Group. Her presentation outlined the process for selection of the 2017/2018 topics list, as well as next stages for the 2018/2019 topics list.

3. Breast Cancer update – Scott Klarenbach

Dr. Klarenbach led a discussion on behalf of the Breast Cancer Working Group, which is working on an update to the 2011 Task Force guideline. The aim of the presentation was to review the Working Group’s evidence-to-decision framework and to obtain approval from Task Force members on proposed recommendations for breast cancer screening. Approval was granted by a majority.

4. Input on Response Times and Availability – Brett Thombs

Dr. Thombs led a discussion on Task Force response timelines and how communication procedures can be improved. Basic timelines and areas for improvement were established.

5. Methods update – Brett Thombs and Nicki Sims-Jones

Dr. Thombs and Ms. Sims-Jones led an update on behalf of the Methods Working Group, which focused on the upcoming publication of a Task Force methods manual and the use of indirect evidence in GRADE.

6. GHGD update and Guideline timelines – Rachel Rodin

Dr. Rodin led a verbal update on behalf of the Global Health and Guidelines Division and reviewed guideline timelines.

7. Asymptomatic Bacterieuria – Ainsley Moore

Dr. Moore led a verbal update on behalf of the Asymptomatic Bacterieuria (ASB) Working Group, seeking final comments on the guideline statement before submission. The conversation focused on the use of gender terminology in the guideline manuscript.

8. Esophageal Cancer - Stéphane Groulx and Candyce Hamel

Dr. Groulx and Ms. Hamel led an update on behalf of the Esophageal Cancer Working Group. The presentation included a review of the analytical framework and Key Question evidence to-date.

9. Visual Acuity – Brenda Wilson

Dr. Wilson led an update on behalf of the Visual Acuity Working Group, seeking feedback on proposed tweaks to language in the recommendation.

10. Hypertension WG – Brenda Wilson

Dr. Wilson led a verbal update on behalf of the Hypertension Working Group.

11. Electronic Medical Record (E-Health) WG update - Radha Sayal (via teleconference)

Ms. Sayal led an update on behalf of the Electronic Medical Record (E-Health) Working Group. She reviewed background and results of the EMR Pilot Study, as well as plug-in features.

12. GRADE Project Presentation of Findings - Kavitha Thiyagarajah (via teleconference)

Ms. Thiyagarajah reviewed findings from the GRADE study, with a focus on clinicians’ recommended changes to guideline format and wording.

13. KT WG update - Danica Buckland

Ms. Buckland provided a broad update on Knowledge Translation activities.

14. Diabetes WG – Gaby Lewin

Dr. Lewin led a verbal update on behalf of the Diabetes Working Group and sought member feedback on moving forward.

Day 2

15. Thyroid Dysfunction - Rick Birtwhistle (via teleconference)

Dr. Birtwhistle reviewed the Evidence-to-Decision (EtD) framework of the Thyroid Dysfunction guideline and requested pre-approval of the recommendation from Task Force members. Approval was unanimous.

16. Osteoporosis WG - Guylène Thériault

Dr. Thériault gave a verbal update on behalf of the Osteoporosis Working Group, seeking clinical expert recommendations and reviewing the scoping exercise to-date.

17. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea WG - Ainsley Moore

Dr. Moore led an update on behalf of the Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Working Group. The discussion was restricted to high-level feedback Key Questions.

18. Media Summary on AAA - Jennifer Field and David Rodier

Ms. Field and Mr. Rodier presented the media strategy used for the Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm (AAA) guideline release and its outcomes.

19. Depression WG - John LeBlanc (via teleconference)

Dr. LeBlanc provided an update on behalf of the Depression Working Group, reviewing the guideline format and systematic reviews under consideration.

20. Next Steps and Adjournment – Dr. Brett Thombs

Dr. Thombs thanked the group for their attendance. He reminded the Task Force to please send expense forms to Ms. Cortinovis. Dates for the next meeting are February 26th-27th, and the location is Ottawa.