Public record of meeting, 6 June 2016
Meeting of 6 June, 2016–7 June, 2016
Albert at Bay Suite Hotel, Ottawa ON
- Dr. Marcello Tonelli (Chair)
- Dr. Richard Birtwhistle (Vice-Chair)
- Dr. Roland Grad
- Dr. James Dickinson
- Dr. Stéphane Groulx
- Dr. Brett Thombs
- Dr. Scott Klarenbach
- Dr. Brenda Wilson
- Dr. Ainsley Moore
- Dr. Gabriela Lewin
- Dr. Harminder Singh
- Dr. Kevin Pottie
- Dr. Maria Bacchus
- Dr. Rachel Rodin
- Dr. Anne-Marie Ugnat
- Ms. Alejandra Jaramillo
- Dr. Wendy Martin
- Ms. Nathalie Holmes
- Ms. Mitulika Chawla
- Mr. Ernesto Delgado
- Ms. Chantal Plante
- Ms. Dana Reid (telecon)
- Ms. Véronique Dorais
- Dr. Marianna Ofner
U of Calgary
- Ms. Brandee Borne
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI) ERSC
- Dr. Julian Little
- Ms. Adrienne Stevens
- Mr. Andrew Beck
- Ms. Mona Hersi
- Ms. Candyce Hamel
- Ms. Roxanne Ward
Alberta Research Centre for Health Evidence (ARCHE) ERSC
- Ms. Jennifer Pillay
- Ms. Lisa Hartling (telecon)
St. Michael’s Hospital
- Dr. Nadia Bashir
- Ms. Kaylyn Kretschmer
- Ms. Danica Buckland
- Dr. Sharon Straus
- Ms. Radha Sayal (telecon)
- Dr. David Keegan, Associate Dean of Education at UC (telecon)
- Dr. William Wong (telecon)
- Fareen Karachiwalla
- Catherine Dickson GHGD
- Ms. Kate Collier
- Dr. Michele Dyson
- Dr. David Moher
KEY DISCUSSION POINTS / DECISIONS / RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Welcome and Introductions; Review of Agenda – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli welcomed everyone to the meeting and asked that participants introduce themselves to the group. He noted that there were a few late changes made to the agenda. The agenda was reviewed, resulting in the third item, Thyroid Dysfunction Working Group Update, being tabled.
2. Review and Approval of Minutes, PROM and Action Items from February 2016 Meeting; Update on Chair and Vice Chair Selection Process – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli informed the group that the Minutes and PROM would not be approved at this meeting, but instead he asked everyone to approve the Minutes and PROM from February’s In Person Meeting via email once they had reviewed them. The Action Items from February were briefly reviewed. Dr. Tonelli asked Ms. Collier if there was anything outstanding that needed to be addressed from these Action Items. No issues arose.
Dr. Tonelli gave an update of the Chair and Vice Chair selection and also advised that new Task Force members would be recrui ted towards the end of this year, to replace the current members whose service terms are coming to an end. He noted that a specialist in paediatrics would be favourable.
3. Prevention Guidelines Division Update – Dr. Rachel Rodin
Dr. Tonelli extended a warm welcome to Director of the Global Health and Guideline Divisions, Dr. Rachel Rodin. Dr. Rodin gave a presentation to the group, outlining a change to the structure of the Guidelines Division and highlighted key constraints faced by the group. She also presented a work plan to the group showing the stage that each guideline is in.
4. Guideline Timelines and Lessons Learned – Ms. Kaylyn Kretschmer
Ms. Kretschmer gave a presentation to the group highlighting the expected timelines for current and upcoming guidelines and also the lessons that have been learned in the 3 recent guidelines released.
5. Fetal Aneuploidy Screening Update – Dr. Brett Thombs
Dr. Thombs gave a presentation to the group highlighting the progress of the working group and the challenges that come with developing a guideline that covers many Neural Tube Defects.
6. Annual Evaluation Lessons Learned – Dr. Nadia Bashir
Dr. Bashir gave a presentation to the group, which covered evaluation objectives, the methods used to conduct the evaluation, recruitment strategies and results. Opportunities for improvement were also highlighted as part of Dr. Bashir’s presentation.
7. eHealth Working Group Update – Ms. Radya Sayal
Ms. Sayal gave a presentation to the group, via teleconference, on the work of the eHealth working group. Her presentation covered use of the Mobile App and an update of the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) plug-in being introduced to the Breast Cancer Screening guideline in OSCAR.
8. Periodic Health Examination (PHE) Working Group Update – Dr. Richard Birtwhistle
Dr. Birtwhistle advised the group that this update would be for discussion and agreement to submit the draft commentary for approval to CMAJ. It was decided that agreement could be done via email instead of at this meeting.
9. Clinical Prevention Leaders – Ms. Kaylyn Kretschmer
Ms. Kretschmer gave a presentation to the group, highlighting the progress made in this initiative. She noted that because the project is based on a volunteer basis, it could pose a challenge. Task Force members will be asked to participate in the initiative.
10. Guideline Launch, Budgets and Publication Strategies – Ms. Brandee Borne
Ms. Borne gave a presentation to the group, which covered the budgets for KT Tool developments with the aim to create an action plan for this year and the next year.
11. Methods Working Group Update – Ms. Alejandra Jaramillo
Ms. Jaramillo gave a presentation, on the work currently being done by the working group, and additions/revisions to the methods that will need approval by the group.
12. Knowledge Translation Working Group Update – Dr. Nadia Bashir
Dr. Bashir gave a presentation to the group, covering the work of the KT team. Dr. Bashir updated members on the tools developed for the 3 latest guidelines, the updated Task Force infographic, SHARC FM clinical card and the current tool development process.
13. Hepatitis C Working Group Update – Dr. Roland Grad
Dr. Grad gave a presentation, updating the group on the work of the working group. Dr. William Wong joined via teleconference to provide further information on the economic model he is developing to estimate the cost effectiveness of screening.
14. Tobacco Working Group Update – Dr. Brett Thombs
Dr. Thombs gave a presentation to the group, highlighting the progress of the working group and the next steps that will be taken to expedite this guideline ahead of the scheduled timeline.
15. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Working Group Update – Dr. Harminder Singh
Dr. Singh gave a presentation to the group, on the progress of the AAA guideline. He noted that it is currently in the patient preference stage.
16. The Shared Canadian Curriculum in Family Medicine (SHARC FM) Initiative – Dr. David Keegan
Dr. Tonelli welcomed and introduced Dr. David Keegan from the University of Calgary, who called in to give his presentation on The Shared Canadian Curriculum in Family Medicine (SHARC FM) initiative. His presentation looked at the possible collaboration of SHARC FM and CTFPHC.
17. Glaucoma and Visual Acuity Working Group Update – Dr. Brenda Wilson
Dr. Wilson gave a presentation, updating the group on the progress of the working group and the challenges they have come across with this limited scope of work.
18. Antenatal Bacteriuria Working Group Update – Dr. Ainsley Moore
Dr. Moore gave a presentation to the group, on the work being done by the working group. She noted that work is progressing well and is on schedule.
19. Esophageal Cancer Working Group Update – Dr. Stéphane Groulx
Dr. Groulx gave a presentation, updating the group on the work of the working group. His presentation focused on the key questions and wording challenges.
20. Breast Cancer Working Group Update – Dr. Scott Klarenbach
Dr. Klarenbach provided the group with a presentation, outlining the work of the working group. Evidence searches and key questions were discussed.
21. Next Steps and Adjournment – Dr. Marcello Tonelli
Dr. Tonelli thanked everyone for their attendance and advised that the next In Person meeting will be held in Quebec City, October 17 – 18, 2016.